Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-20 9:36 pm 

The general theme of the deck is an aggressive attack, supported by various resource control strategies (removal, land destruction, discard) and a few combo alternate win conditions.

It is important to note that the current deck list has six cards of CMC 5, four cards of CMC 6, and two cards of CMC 7. I will not be adding any card with a CMC greater than 7, unless it has a consistent alternate means of casting. Additionally, any suggested CMC 6 or 7 cards must be replacing one of the existing cards. I am willing to add up to two more cards of CMC 5 (bringing the total to 8) - anything beyond that will need to be replacing an existing card of it's mana cost.

The deck has had very little play so far, and is likely to change a reasonable amount in the near future. It has been having issues with mana, consistently drawing significantly less than the expected average (along the lines of partial mulling twice to get a second land, then missing land drops on turn 3) and having issues with color fixing. It is currently unclear if this is a problem with the deck, or if it simply hates me - I have been having a similar issue with Legacy the last few weeks. If this problem persists, I will be removing Thespian's Stage and two nonland cards in favor of Shadowmoor/Eventide filters.

Cards currently under consideration:
Shivan Harvest - it would be replacing Goblin Bombardment. Doubling as both a sacrifice outlet and persistent land destruction makes the effect very strong, but having a non-trivial activation cost, and loosing the added removal from Bombardment may not be worth the trade.
Cathars' Crusade OR Dictate of Heliod - Either card would likely be replacing Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon". While the Crusade is likely the strongest of them, the casting cost of 5 combined with having no effect until a creature hits makes me think Dictate's static +2 is superior. The advantage of Kongming of course is both the cheaper casting cost, as well as the ability to recur him with Alesha.
Master of Cruelties - This effect lends a lot of strength to aggro builds in this format, and being able to recur it with Alesha makes this a strong contender, though I have no idea what would be cut for it.
Buried Alive - If added, it would be replacing Grim Tutor. Normally, I dislike cards like this because of their narrow application, but given both the aggressive nature of the deck, along with Alesha being able to bring out Karmic Guide into Elesh Norn off of it makes me think the card may have a place here.

Suggestions welcome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-21 12:24 am 

Muspellsheimr wrote:
It has been having issues with mana, consistently drawing significantly less than the expected average

I would suggest adding more land. 34 is just not enough, even for a deck with a low curve. After seeing your list, I was not at all surprised to see the quoted statement.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-11 4:49 am 

I also recently made an Alesha deck (which I will post when MTGO is done with maintenence and I can get my deck list). My version is a little different, but some cards that are working really well you might want to consider are:

Necrotic Sliver,Azorius Justiciar,Siege-Gang Commander,Cathars' Crusade,Banisher Priest,Iroas, God of Victory, Blade Splicer, and Attrition

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-14 5:36 am 

Reconnaissance

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile