Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-21 5:05 am

Post subject: Re: Mono Blue Tribal Merfolk
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-24 12:30 am 

If it’s for beginner level it may be more complex than you want. There’s a lot of sequencing and decision trees that go into playing it well. For instance, knowing that your Seperatist Voidmage should really be looked at as a spell that says “return this and one other creature to their owner’s hands” when Naban is in play. My friend asked me when I played the deck why I was double triggering Altar of the Brood sometimes (Wizard ETBs), that sort of thing. If the players are ready for that it is a blast to play though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-09 12:55 am 

Would it be fair to say it's simple to get into but difficult to master?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-09 11:18 am 

Yes... I think so. The interactions are not terribly technical, for the most part. The sequencing is a pain sometimes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-15 8:59 pm 

So, what about doing Mono U Wizard Tempo-Mill, with Laquatus as the leader.

Toss in creatures like Supreme Inquisitor, Aphetto Grifter, Azami, the prior mentioned Drowner of Secrets, Gadwick the Wizened, Galecaster Colossus, Patron Wizard, Sigil Tracer, Tempest Caller...

Then toss in things like Verity Circle, Eratic Portal and Crystal Shard so you can bounce creatures.

Add in a few "haymakers" like Denying Wind, Rite of Replication, and Memnarch. (I like the Theft thing, but it's a super feel bad for new players so a splashy rare that costs a LOT of mana doing the job seems doable.)

Could be a pretty decent Mill / Tempo deck. Though that archetype may not be easy for all players to grok.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-18 7:52 am 

moraff wrote:
So, what about doing Mono U Wizard Tempo-Mill, with Laquatus as the leader.

Toss in creatures like Supreme Inquisitor, Aphetto Grifter, Azami, the prior mentioned Drowner of Secrets, Gadwick the Wizened, Galecaster Colossus, Patron Wizard, Sigil Tracer, Tempest Caller...

Then toss in things like Verity Circle, Eratic Portal and Crystal Shard so you can bounce creatures.

Add in a few "haymakers" like Denying Wind, Rite of Replication, and Memnarch. (I like the Theft thing, but it's a super feel bad for new players so a splashy rare that costs a LOT of mana doing the job seems doable.)

Could be a pretty decent Mill / Tempo deck. Though that archetype may not be easy for all players to grok.

I'd only be afraid that what you've described is just a somewhat Tempo deck with some incidental Mill. Which may still be okay, but I don't know if it'll be good for what I was looking for. I've also got the problem where I've moved away from theft effects as being a focus in these decks and copy effects are now covered by tribal blue Sphinxes.

I appreciate the thought though. I can't help thinking I want to try out the previously outlined Wizard mill deck Spectrar Ghost has even if I don't end up making it a beginner option.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 10:27 am 

If you are considering non-Merfolk options now, I've had fun with Toothy Mono-U Illusion tribal. Combat tricks, some token and counter shenanigans, fairly straight forward.

Adarkar Windform
Aetherplasm
Aura Thief
Chameleon Spirit
Cloud Dragon
Draining Whelk
Dream Stalker
Fathom Seer
Fleeting Image
Hazy Homunculus
Hover Barrier
Illusory Ambusher
Illusory Angel
Jace's Mindseeker
Jace's Phantasm
Krovikan Mist
Lord of the Unreal
Meloku the Clouded Mirror
Mesmerizing Benthid
Mistform Ultimus
Mistform Warchief
Murmuring Mystic
Palinchron
Phantasmal Dragon
Phantasmal Image
Phantom Monster
Phantom Warrior
Riftwing Cloudskate
Spark Double
Thalakos Mistfolk

Jace, Cunning Castaway
Armillary Sphere
Caged Sun
Elixir of Immortality
Expedition Map
Farsight Mask
Heraldic Banner
Herald's Horn
Minion Reflector
Paradise Plume
Ring of Evos Isle
Thaumatic Compass
The Immortal Sun
Whispersilk Cloak
Cowardice
Dismiss into Dream
Ever-Watching Threshold
Halcyon Glaze
Illusionary Armor
Kindred Discovery
Metamorphic Alteration
Veiled Sentry
Illusionist's Gambit
Illusionist's Stratagem
Mirror Match
Mizzium Skin
Reality Shift
Summoner's Bane
Distant Melody
Dream Cache
Finale of Revelation
Portent

You might also consider Shapeshifter tribal (clone, copy effects) as it's less frustrating that theft, but allows you to use the enemy's strength against them.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-20 3:32 am 

Treamayne wrote:
If you are considering non-Merfolk options now

Yeah, there was the possibility for cool plays with Merfolk, but it just isn't going to work out. For now I'm replacing it with a mono-Blue thopter tribal-ish deck under Sai, Master Thopterist. I only needed to get a couple cards to make it since I already had basically all the cards I'd want for it. There hasn't been an opportunity for a beginner to play it yet, but testing has shown it does pretty well for itself.

Treamayne wrote:
I've had fun with Toothy Mono-U Illusion tribal. Combat tricks, some token and counter shenanigans, fairly straight forward.

Hm, looks like it could be fun. I hadn't considered Illusions as a tribe to try out, as they aren't generally considered a strong or cohesive tribe (although some are individually pretty good). But I'll definitely consider it at least.

Treamayne wrote:
You might also consider Shapeshifter tribal (clone, copy effects) as it's less frustrating that theft, but allows you to use the enemy's strength against them.

In this case probably won't go with this one just due to how the tribal Sphinx deck I have already utilizes a number of clone effects (Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign likes lots of sphinxes, so clones supplement it's effect or copies an opponent's creature).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-23 10:31 pm 

I thought you couldn't have too many clone effects. haha

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-24 1:33 pm 

Dyerson wrote:
I thought you couldn't have too many clone effects. haha

It's more that I don't want to over-saturate this collection of decks with too many similar effects. If one deck already uses clones properly, then I don't necessarily want to make a second deck doing nearly the same thing. What this helps with is giving beginners a variety of options to chose from and try out.

There is some overlap, of course, yet I feel I've done a pretty solid job making each have an individual path for winning.

Offline Profile