Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 1:03 pm

Post subject: Thinking about Storrev
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-22 10:32 am 

I know the usual refrain, at least among the competitive retinue, is going to be "use Meren instead". Yet I've never been fond of the experience counter mechanic; too gimmicky, by my lights. (And this was long before Price of Betrayal existed.) And I think someone on MTGSalvation or Reddit has already called Storrev a much healthier take on Meren's scheme.

Still, we need to figure out what Storrev can do, outside of Superfriends, that Meren cannot, besides being much more desirable in a fight.

I think at least part of the answer is going to be when you specifically want the creatures to be cast, not just enter the battlefield outright. Notice that Meren requires direct entry with enough experience counters for a given creature.

Basically, I'm thinking of kicker creatures like Territorial Allosaurus. The trick will be finding enough to justify Storrev over Meren, that won't cramp your ability to cast extra spells after being kicked.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thinking about Storrev
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-22 10:47 am 

Storrev, Devkarin Lich {1}{B}{B}{G}
Legendary Creature — Zombie Elf Wizard

Trample

Whenever Storrev, Devkarin Lich deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker, return to your hand target creature or planeswalker card in your graveyard that wasn’t put there this combat.

5/4

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-23 2:46 pm 

Skyknight wrote:
I know the usual refrain, at least among the competitive retinue, is going to be "use Meren instead".

Weird. I see Storev and Meren working very differently.

I feel like Storev wants to be a pseudo-mono-green-not-quite-elves stompy deck, more along the lines of my Seton build. Pack it with a solid creature curve (early mana ramp creatures, midrange value guys, the usual Craterhoof finishers), with a few pump spells for surprise (Blanchwood Armor wins ludicrous numbers of games), splashing black mostly just for removal, Living Death and maybe some combo pieces, if that's your thing.

It's too bad he's not Jund or Abzan... haste and/or double strike would've been sweet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-24 2:18 am 

A couple random disembodied thoughts:

1. Not to the level of superfriends, but Storrev is a lot more planeswalker friendly. The two simple conclusions are that he is more receptive to PWs like Garruk, Primal Hunter that tend to die rather quickly, and that there's also some design space in looking at where PW abilities overlap. Off the top of my head, the latter fact brings to mind zombies and big mana as possible archetypes he could helm.

2. While both he and Meren are value engines, Meren is only so while Storrev is also an active combatant. This makes him not only a prime candidate for a Voltron build, but IIRC a rather unique one in that his support would come primarily from creatures and planeswalkers.

3. Expanding on what you mentioned regarding cast vs ETB, Storrev generally works best with things that do their job from the hand rather than on the field. This includes the aforementioned kickers and cards like Beast Whisperer, but also cycling, bloodrush, channel, creatures with flash, hand-size-matters, and other related effects.

4. He is far and away the best candidate for Golgari Wizard tribal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-24 12:50 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
2. While both he and Meren are value engines, Meren is only so while Storrev is also an active combatant. This makes him not only a prime candidate for a Voltron build, but IIRC a rather unique one in that his support would come primarily from creatures and planeswalkers.

3. Expanding on what you mentioned regarding cast vs ETB, Storrev generally works best with things that do their job from the hand rather than on the field. This includes the aforementioned kickers and cards like Beast Whisperer, but also cycling, bloodrush, channel, creatures with flash, hand-size-matters, and other related effects.

The couple bestow creatures might be good... Nighthowler's pretty great. Erebos's Emissary and Herald of Torment are at least worth a look.

Timing on bloodrush is awkward since you can't get the card back until next combat after you've dealt damage, so you gotta wait a couple turns before you can reuse it. But there are enough good cycling effects in G/B that you could have some extra fun with Archfiend of Ifnir, Underrealm Lich, and Life from the Loam.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
4. He is far and away the best candidate for Golgari Wizard tribal.

The G/B Magus cards are pretty neat.

How bout a world where you can run Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Coffers + Urborg + Magus of the Coffers, Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Gaea's Cradle if you have one, and then get to untap them all with Magus of the Candelabra?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-25 12:02 pm 

I see Storrev mostly as one of the 99. I would want to play him in BRG so I could have multiple combat steps and/or doublestrike.

With him as General, I would probably try to go for a long-shot... Golgari Exalted. We got Nefarox, and other B exalted in M13. Then there is a smattering of "attacks alone" supporters like Sigil of Valor and Grunn. Also, there are nifty ways to use your defenders @ EoOT (before untap), like Earthcraft, Cryptic Gateway, etc.

I really like Gemini Engine in my Bant Exalted, since he'll share his exalted P/T bonuses with the twin token. Also, Myriad and Nacatl War-Pride are a nice way to attack wider while still retaining exalted bonuses. This way you have a path if Storrev isn't on the battlefield.

Kemev wrote:

How bout a world where you can run Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Coffers + Urborg + Magus of the Coffers, Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Gaea's Cradle if you have one, and then get to untap them all with Magus of the Candelabra?

Isn't that Jokulhaups world?

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-26 3:47 pm 

Golgari Infiltrator is a neat twist on Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Varolz, the Scar-Striped. This one is particularly efficient with Satyr Wayfinder and Splinterfright. So mad props.

Disagree about the attitude toward "Play Meren instead." Legendary Creatures aren't an especially powerful cardtype, and while Meren is powerful- this guy's niche is different enough that it should be obvious that anyone who would actually say "Play Meren instead" probably hasn't played enough hands of EDH (queue the same rant I always have about people asking me why I don't play Oloro, Ageless Ascetic as a commander.)

The sick thing here, is that Trample with green mana can be significantly stronger than the usual evasion that gets played with Infiltrator commanders. So the first major dig I'd look into is Lure variants (Shinen of Life's Roar, Gift of the Deity, Seton's Desire, and Nemesis Mask come to mind.) All of these are incredible with any source of First Strike ontop of the value can get just putting First Strike on any infiltrator. Also, possibly a proper home for Grappling Hook.

Choice do-nothing I'd like with this commander is Fecundity.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-26 3:57 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Kemev wrote:

Isn't that Jokulhaups world?

Ordinarily I'm pretty anti-haups, but in this case I'd feel like I deserved it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-30 5:22 am 

Evoke critters are better in other colors, but using Briarhorn and Offalsnout wouldn't be the worst. Alongside the previously mentioned Bloodrush, Kicker, etc. Any sort of "creatures as spells" type abilities would be pretty reasonable. Even just cycling creatures with a bonus trigger. Shefet Monitor, maybe?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-30 7:26 am 

I mean, Night Incarnate's an evoker. Wipe the board, attack someone for 2, get back Night Incarnate, rinse and repeat next turn. Laugh as the lesser elf decks wallow in misery!

Jeyal wrote:
Even just cycling creatures with a bonus trigger. Shefet Monitor, maybe?

This is yet another deck where you can go bananas with Underrealm Lich + cycling cards.
Plus Doom Whisperer's cheap again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-09 6:35 am 

Kemev wrote:
I mean, Night Incarnate's an evoker. Wipe the board, attack someone for 2, get back Night Incarnate, rinse and repeat next turn. Laugh as the lesser elf decks wallow in misery!

Is "fat elves" a viable archetype? 4/4 elves and effects like Night Incarnate?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-09 10:01 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Kemev wrote:

Is "fat elves" a viable archetype? 4/4 elves and effects like Night Incarnate?

I dunno if it's elves exactly, but there are some good fat bottom mana producers likeVine Trellis, Overgrown Battlements, Karametra's Acolyte, Elvish Aberration, maybe some others. Magus of the Coffers too. Garruk Wildspeaker and some of the Nissas fit here too; they don't directly produce mana, but they untap lands.

Maybe there's a GB midrange deck there built around oppressing smaller creature decks with -X/-X effects while using Storrev + buffs to commander damage the bigger/slower decks.

Offline Profile