Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-18 1:28 pm

Post subject: A strange question about banding and trample
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 2:57 am 

I was put in a position where is was to my benefit to take damage and wanted to know if it was allowed

I had a 1/1 creature with banding and a 7/7 creature

My opponent (in question) has a 8/8 creature with trample and first strike

Is if he attacks and I block with both my creatures and I just assign the damage to me as trample in first strike combat and have my creatures kill it on normal combat or is that not allowed?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A strange question about banding and trample
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 3:07 am 

Short answer: no

The damage has to be assigned to the creatures first before any damage can be assigned to the defending player and the 8 damage is only enough to kill the 1/1 and 7/7 unless the attacking creature has deathtouch.

702.19b. The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. Once all those blocking creatures are assigned lethal damage, any remaining damage is assigned as its controller chooses among those blocking creatures and the player or planeswalker the creature is attacking. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that's being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that's actually dealt. The attacking creature's controller need not assign lethal damage to all those blocking creatures but in that case can't assign any damage to the player or planeswalker it's attacking.

Here is the relevant portion for blocking with banding:

702.21j During the combat damage step, if an attacking creature is being blocked by a creature with banding, or by both a [quality] creature with “bands with other [quality]” and another [quality] creature, the defending player (rather than the active player) chooses how the attacking creature’s damage is assigned. That player can divide that creature’s combat damage as he or she chooses among any number of creatures blocking it. This is an exception to the procedure described in rule 510.1c.
702.21k During the combat damage step, if a blocking creature is blocking a creature with banding, or both a [quality] creature with “bands with other [quality]” and another [quality] creature, the active player (rather than the defending player) chooses how the blocking creature’s damage is assigned. That player can divide that creature’s combat damage as he or she chooses among any number of creatures it’s blocking. This is an exception to the procedure described in rule 510.1d.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 3:31 am 

Thx

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 4:01 am 

Yeah, you can have it assign all 8 damage to a single creature, so the remaining one can hit it back -- although in the situation you described, it wouldn't be enough to kill the attacking creature as it has first strike. (note, in that situation you also take 0 damage.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 6:13 am 

Ya I know that

when a Darksteel Myr with flying and with Baton of Morale on the field is a group threat, I know thing are good

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 6:55 am 

That is exactly the style I like to play :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-13 7:59 am 

All questions about banding are strange :)

Offline Profile