Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 7:56 pm

Post subject: Jeskai Spellslinger / Voltron (Kykar, Wind's Fury)
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 5:53 pm 

Commander - (1)
1 Kykar, Wind's Fury

Creatures - (10)
1 Bishop of Wings
1 Drift of Phantasms
1 Herald of Kozilek
1 Mentor of the Meek
1 Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
1 Thalia's Geistcaller
1 Elsha of the Infinite
1 Chartooth Cougar
1 Shoreline Ranger
1 Eternal Dragon

Instants - (19)
1 Active Volcano
1 Blue Elemental Blast
1 Cerulean Wisps
1 Crimson Wisps
1 Dizzy Spell
1 Hydroblast
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Niveous Wisps
1 Pull from Eternity
1 Pyroblast
1 Quicken
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Shields of Velis Vel
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Chaos Warp
1 Crystal Spray
1 Generous Gift
1 Sphinx's Revelation

Sorceries - (20)
1 Banefire
1 Careful Study
1 Faithless Looting
1 Kaervek's Torch
1 Overmaster
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Serum Visions
1 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Epic Experiment
1 Quiet Speculation
1 Return to the Ranks
1 Call to Mind
1 Sevinne's Reclamation
1 Shreds of Sanity
1 Ignite the Future
1 Mystic Retrieval
1 Past in Flames
1 Throes of Chaos
1 Time Wipe

Artifacts - (14)
1 Blade of the Bloodchief
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Expedition Map
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Azorius Signet
1 Boros Signet
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Helm of Awakening
1 Izzet Signet
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Jhoira's Familiar

Enchantments - (6)
1 Impact Tremors
1 Arcane Adaptation
1 Jeskai Ascendancy
1 Anointed Procession
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
1 Kindred Discovery

Lands - (30)
5 Island
5 Mountain
5 Plains
1 Steam Vents
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Boros Garrison
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Secluded Steppe
1 Prairie Stream
1 Mystic Monastery
1 Riptide Laboratory

Strategy is to control the board state with Spirits using Kykar, Wind's Fury. The deck plays similar to the Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest deck I had before except that I tried to optimize it more for multiplayer EDH / Commander games. As the deck later progressed the amount of synergy it has with Sensei's Divining Top was just too good to ignore so I figured why not capitalize on it as much as my Commander? Bishop of Wings and Arcane Adaptation is mainly in here as a wincon with Kykar, Wind's Fury that I can potentially tutor up If need be If I fail to draw into a massive burn spell like Banefire.

If I need to take out another opponent I can simply go Voltron with Kykar, Wind's Fury equipped with Blade of the Bloodchief after sacrificing tons of Spirits for mana. While Seize the Day would be ideal for this I tend to find it too situational for this sort of build since I rarely ever go into combat with this deck with my Spirits being used more as mana acceleration in order to create more card advantage. Even If I could sacrifice the Spirits with Kykar, Wind's Fury for mana after combat damage is dealt with them that still leaves me wide open for my opponents to swing at me without any chump blockers left to defend with.

Any advice, suggestions, and/or comments are greatly appreciated.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2019-Oct-13 4:08 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jeskai Spellslinger (Kykar, Wind's Fury)
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-06 12:21 am 

You could probably get some good mileage out of Shared Animosity, if your goal is to pump out some number of spirit tokens, and then turn them sideways.

Young Pyromancer, Monastery Mentor, Talrand, and Murmuring Mystic all support the basic strategy as well, although they don't make spirits.

Blistercoil Weird is still bad.

Adeliz is a little puzzling here, since you don't get much mileage out of his ability when you have so few other wizards.

Chartooth Cougar and Shoreline Ranger seem really weak. You can get much better fixing from artifacts or lands. Eternal Dragon at least can be done repeatedly, but I still think I'd drop it, as the process of getting plains with it is very expensive.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-06 6:28 pm 

That's rather different from the way I would (probably will) build Kykar. But it's interesting and has some cards I hadn't thought of. As people are saying, it's really flexible.

If you're going to play the Feather, and targeted spells package, it really seems like you want Zada, and maybe some ways of tutoring them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-07 6:23 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

I'm assuming Blistercoil Weird and some of the other untap effects are to pair up with Paradise Mantle, so you can potentially spew a huge number of 1-mana cantrips in a turn. (I don't think it's a good plan, but it is a plan.)

This is another deck list with a very, very low land count. Are you theory-crafting these, or are you actually sleeving them up to play? I'm having a lot of trouble seeing how this list doesn't mulligan into oblivion every game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-08 11:19 am 

Kemev wrote:
I'm assuming Blistercoil Weird and some of the other untap effects are to pair up with Paradise Mantle, so you can potentially spew a huge number of 1-mana cantrips in a turn. (I don't think it's a good plan, but it is a plan.)

I know. It's still not worth the slot it occupies.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-08 3:50 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Kemev wrote:

I know. It's still not worth the slot it occupies.

Yeah, probably not. I do really like the Jeskai Ascendancy interaction, but I think it works better in 4-color with green, so you can run a ton of mana dorks with it.

Did you swap Primal Amulet in for Paradox Engine? I like the change... this deck doesn't lose anything from PE getting axed; it didn't have enough nonland mana to make it worthwhile anyway. Primal Amulet is a solid upgrade.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-08 4:15 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
You could probably get some good mileage out of Shared Animosity, if your goal is to pump out some number of spirit tokens, and then turn them sideways.
Perhaps In the Web of War would be better since it gives those tokens a +2/+0 buff with haste. Ogre Battledriver works similar though I suppose I could run both. Maybe I'd be better off with Impact Tremors / Goblin Bombardment instead of swinging with my Spirit tokens?

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Young Pyromancer, Monastery Mentor, Talrand, and Murmuring Mystic all support the basic strategy as well, although they don't make spirits.
With Arcane Adaptation / Xenograft it'd be possible. Even Standardize could be utilized for sacrificing creatures with Kykar, Wind's Fury to generate red mana If need be.

Sid the Chicken wrote:

Adeliz is a little puzzling here, since you don't get much mileage out of his ability when you have so few other wizards.

Chartooth Cougar and Shoreline Ranger seem really weak. You can get much better fixing from artifacts or lands. Eternal Dragon at least can be done repeatedly, but I still think I'd drop it, as the process of getting plains with it is very expensive.
I might actually cut Blistercoil Weird since he's mainly been used as a chump blocker back when I was running Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest as my Commander. Adeliz, the Cinder Wind was mainly in here to go Voltron with Kykar, Wind's Fury since they're both Wizards so I figured why not? My other option was probably going to be Keeper of the Nine Gales since with Kykar, Wind's Fury you can continuously bounce permanents back to your opponents' hands with Jeskai Ascendancy while casting noncreature spells.

As for Chartooth Cougar and Shoreline Ranger they're mainly in here for landcycling same with Eternal Dragon as you've already guessed. They're practically one of the few sources of ramp this deck runs without relying too much on mana rocks. Yes they take up 2 mana to cycle per land but it's usually worth it in the long run though. I've actually had success running them in most of my EDH / Commander decks so I don't see much of an issue.

NMS wrote:
That's rather different from the way I would (probably will) build Kykar. But it's interesting and has some cards I hadn't thought of. As people are saying, it's really flexible.

If you're going to play the Feather, and targeted spells package, it really seems like you want Zada, and maybe some ways of tutoring them.
I wasn't too crazy about Zada, Hedron Grinder and Mirrorwing Dragon in Feather, the Redeemed though I see where you're getting at though.

Kemev wrote:
That was the plan until Paradox Engine got banned. Intruder Alarm could also make the combo work even though it's not particularly as reliable.

Kemev wrote:
This is another deck list with a very, very low land count. Are you theory-crafting these, or are you actually sleeving them up to play? I'm having a lot of trouble seeing how this list doesn't mulligan into oblivion every game.
Sleeving them up to play of course.

Kemev wrote:
Did you swap Primal Amulet in for Paradox Engine? I like the change... this deck doesn't lose anything from PE getting axed; it didn't have enough nonland mana to make it worthwhile anyway. Primal Amulet is a solid upgrade.
I did.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-08 4:34 pm 

Card Slinger J wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Perhaps In the Web of War would be better since it gives those tokens a +2/+0 buff with haste. Ogre Battledriver works similar though I suppose I could run both. Maybe I'd be better off with Impact Tremors / Goblin Bombardment instead of swinging with my Spirit tokens?

Have your cake and eat it too with Purphoros, God of the Forge. Spirits deal damage coming in, you get a nice pump effect for the team, and you can pay in spirits to pump bigger spirits.

Also Clash of Realities might be a fun piece of tech.

I still wanna hear game reports back, to hear how often you mulligan/get land screwed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-08 4:48 pm 

Kemev wrote:
Have your cake and eat it too with Purphoros, God of the Forge. Spirits deal damage coming in, you get a nice pump effect for the team, and you can pay in spirits to pump bigger spirits.

Also Clash of Realities might be a fun piece of tech.
Purphoros, God of the Forge would be in here If it wasn't for his $30 price tag. In fact all the Gods in Theros block are overdue for a reprint especially Athreos, God of Passage. I might look into Clash of Realities especially since it synergizes well with Light of Sanction / Mark of Asylum.

Kemev wrote:
I still wanna hear game reports back, to hear how often you mulligan/get land screwed.
I'll let you know once both Kykar, Wind's Fury and Breya, Etherium Shaper are 100% complete. I'm only missing 23 cards for Breya thus far where as Kykar just needs a few tweaks after replacing Shu Yun with him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-09 10:24 am 

Card Slinger J wrote:
Perhaps In the Web of War would be better since it gives those tokens a +2/+0 buff with haste.

It wouldn't be bad, to be sure. Animosity relies on a buildup - if you swing with 10 1/1 spirits, it gives them all +9/+0 and you hit for 100. On the flip side, no haste.

Card Slinger J wrote:
As for Chartooth Cougar and Shoreline Ranger they're mainly in here for landcycling same with Eternal Dragon as you've already guessed. They're practically one of the few sources of ramp this deck runs without relying too much on mana rocks.

I know I'm being a bit nitpicky here, but they're not ramp. They're fixing. They put the land in hand, and you have to play it as your land for turn, so it doesn't accelerate you. IMO you'd be better off running things like Wayfarer's Bauble and Mycosynth Wellspring that actually ARE ramp, and also trigger things that care about non-creature spells, rather than landcyclers.

Card Slinger J wrote:
That was the plan until Paradox Engine got banned. Intruder Alarm could also make the combo work even though it's not particularly as reliable.

Jeskai Ascendancy is in the deck already and does this better than Intruder Alarm. Mind you, I don't think you should reverse course on cutting Blistercore... he's still bad.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-09 5:50 pm 

Mycosynth Wellspring also isn't ramp.

I agree Blistercoil Weird is bad. I'm not sure about Intruder Alarm, but you could play it and double down on the untapping combo aspect with cards like Faces of the Past and Kyren Negotiations if you wanted.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 11:33 am 

NMS wrote:
Mycosynth Wellspring also isn't ramp.

When you're right you're right... not sure why I thought that went into play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 1:20 pm 

Well as far as my playtesting with Kykar, Wind's Fury went, I struggled quite a bit against Elesh Norn Stax as I didn't have a way to pump my creatures as effectively since I kept digging for an answer only to cast Cyclonic Rift for 2 to bounce Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite back to hand. The 4 player pod was literally a stalemate until the Elesh Norn player hardcasted Play of the Game since we were stuck durdling for 3 hours. I didn't have any mana issues throughout the game despite Elesh Norn preventing me from producing Spirits to sacrifice for mana with Kykar which made me realize that I probably should be running Martyr's Bond in this deck.

I was about to overload Cyclonic Rift before bouncing Elesh Norn back to hand until someone at the table cast Crush Contraband on my Chromatic Lantern leaving me at 6 mana. The two other Commanders at the table were Sliver Queen and Tymna the Weaver / Ravos, Soultender. The Sliver player was struggling against the Elesh Norn player as well as he casted Overwhelming Splendor on him which was eventually exiled. The Elesh Norn player did try to win the game earlier with the Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth combo with Kormus Bell except that Urborg got exiled with Hide // Seek so he had to either rely on Play of the Game or Serra the Benevolent.

EDIT: Finally got a hold of a Purphoros, God of the Forge for this deck for $20, however one of my friends is tempted to run him in Breya, Etherium Shaper instead.

Offline Profile